View Single Post
Old 01-05-2017, 11:47 AM   #62
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
The problem with that argument is that once the drone is built by our hypothetical re-positioned postal-worker, the drone will go on doing the ex-postal-workers job day after to day for a long time. Whereas the construction of the drone would have taken a day, unless a robot builds it, in which case it would be much cheaper and much quicker.
As I said earlier, I have no reason to suspect that a viable drone delivery program will directly translate to unemployed postal workers. I suspect the post office will be the secure location to which drones will deliver their cargo (from there to be delivered to--or picked up by--customers). Especially in rural or suburban areas. If the Postal Service isn't positioning themselves for this eventuality already, then they deserve to be supplanted by someone who is. I'm sure there will be warehouse-to-doorstep drone delivery available (or corporate dropoff kiosks), but it will (at least initially) be cost-prohibitive for the most part. If anything, it will be the UPS/Fedex drivers who will be impacted more. But if recent history is anything to go by, UPS/Fedex are showing increasing reluctance to want to mess with residential delivery anyway. *shrug*
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote