View Single Post
Old 07-29-2013, 10:16 PM   #224
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
@jbennion: auspex is correct, you need to use the "Store/restore Current Bookmark" to get the reading status for the books. On the dialog that is displayed, choose "Store" to get them. I started work on automating this when the device is connected, but I have been distracted by a couple of other things.

I hadn't thought about indicating the existence of bookmarks on the device. I don't really like the idea of adding a column in the library to indicate it. It is something that can only be known when the device is connected and doesn't really mean much when it isn't. Showing it in the device list would be more sensible but, I'm not sure how.

Restoring the annotation files is manual at the moment. Simply copy the directories from where you saved them to "Digital Editions\Annotations" on the device. If you are only restoring one file, you need to recreate the directory structure for the files. I will add this to the ToDo list, but it will be fairly low in priority.

The whole area of annotations is one I am not happy with. What is in the plugin are basically quick and dirty things I could think of doing. I would like to do it better, but I haven't come up with a good way yet. And while I use lots of annotations, they are normally temporary to mark an error in a book that I then fix and remove the annotation.

The calibre and the driver includes a way to fetch them and add them to the comments in the library. It works but is fairly ugly. The Annotations plugin is interesting as it can fetch them to a different column and the formatting is better. But someone needs to write some code. I have part of it but haven't had a chance to return to it. I remember that I ran into a problem with it which is the reason I stopped at the time. But, both of these are read only: read from the device and put in the library. They can't go back.

Backing up and restoring the annotations file is only a partial solution as there are books that these don't exist for. To do it properly, the data in the database needs to be extracted and stored in a way that can be restored later. That probably isn't that hard. The question is the format and where to store it.

I'm open to any suggestions on how to do this.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote