View Single Post
Old 01-20-2010, 11:32 AM   #6
Eatnread
Eatnread began at the beginning.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (purple)
Hi,
I also have been reading and educating myself from Mobileread ("lurking" in forumspeak) for the past several months and went with a purple PP over the Sony several months ago. And I just love it. The other posters have pretty much summarized my reasons also.
I hate having to put out extra money for additional accessories.--The PP came with a nice sturdy cover and an ac adapter- 2 things that I considered a necessity.
I like having the option of also being able to use an SD card for holding as many books as I might ever want to carry.
I also liked that it had a user-changeable battery. If/when the battery would ever die, I was not interested in having to send back the whole reader for someone else to replace it.
And, customer service is huge with me. When there was initially a problem with the paint surface, it was dealt with quickly, efficiently and without any complaints or hassles from the company, to my total satisfaction. A while ago, I had a problem with a Sony product breaking down twice, and when I asked them if they didn't have enough pride and confidence in their product to rectify this, essentially, they said...no, they helped me once, but wouldn't stand by it a second time. I knew that answer would come back and bite them, and it did--even if all things were equal; which it's not, the PP offers much more, I prefer to go with a company that stands behind its product 100%.
And I was tremendously impressed that a company representative, Robertb, was so actively present on this forum. He stays so focused on customer service, and always sounds calm and reasonable, even when some comments here can get a bit demanding or harsh.
For essentially the same price, those are the reasons that made me pick the PP.
Now that I've been using it, I also like 3 ways I'm able to turn the pages with either hand, no matter how I'm holding it. The paint is no longer an issue; it's fine, even though I'm always touching it because it has soft smooth feeling to the rubberized finish. I've read about 6 books on it and then finally decided to recharge it after about 2 months--I'm not a very fast reader.
PDF--well, technically I hardly know what I'm doing. I've put several of my pdf manuels for my video camera and its software on the PP, and it works. It's either quite small, fits on the page and the page turns go well, or it is big, with 2 PP page turns per PDF page, and sometimes jumps back to the beginning at the end of a chapter.
I haven't done the latest firmware update yet. That was a bit of a challenge for me, what with .bin and unzipping. My husband had to do that stuff for me for the first update, but after that even I could do it. I even figured out Calibre all by myself and converted some .lit books from Mobileread into epub and they look really nice on the PP.
Good luck on your decision. The PP came out way ahead for me over the Sony. I'm reading so much more now that I have something light and portable. And I haven't paid for any of it---I'm reading library books or public domain right now. Good luck on your decision. The PP came out way ahead for me over the Sony. I'm reading so much more now that I have something light and portable. And I haven't paid for any of it---I'm reading library books or public domain right now.
Eatnread is offline   Reply With Quote