View Single Post
Old 03-26-2008, 08:24 PM   #1
aapezzuto
Zealot
aapezzuto will become famous soon enoughaapezzuto will become famous soon enoughaapezzuto will become famous soon enoughaapezzuto will become famous soon enoughaapezzuto will become famous soon enoughaapezzuto will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Custom Sony Prs-505 Book Light

This is the second version of a custom book light for the Sony PRS-505 e-book reader. As our household makes -35,000$us per year I need to raise some money to continue development. I have already selected LEDs that I would like to try, and am currently looking at RECHARGEABLE BATTERIES that could work with my current designs. So Let me describe what it is I am selling.

This book light was manufactured from a full sized light wedge. It has been milled down to fit perfectly (less than 0.5mm gap) within the recess of the sony readers screen. It is powered by two 3v button cells (pretty sure they are cr2012). It has limited battery life, and if my measurements are correct the light drains 8mA... so from a standard pair of cr2012s it should last between 6-10 hours. It is possible to find rechargeable cr2012 form factor batteries, but I felt it was prohibitive for a wide spread design. The Device is operated by a single sliding switch, in the upper right corner.

The edges are covered with reflective foil tape, and painted black. This occludes about 2mm on each side, and the bottom. However I have not found it to be a significant problem, unless the word A or I have been at an edge.

I will leave this post here for a few days to see if I get a strong enough response, if not I will put it up on ebay. As stated above, I am selling this to raise the money to refine the concept further, preferably to either sell a small batch of here, or sell to a 3rd party vendor for larger scale production. My "reserve" would be 50$us, as that is the money I have spend thus far on this, and will accept any offer of 100$us so long as I do not receive a higher offer within 12 hours. If someone purchases this for more than 100$us, they will also have first rights on my next prototype, as well as the right to purchase at a discount from any small batch production that I may make.

I have been open about the limitations of this light, and any flaws, to the best of my knowledge. This is based on it being my creation, and having used it for approximately 2-3 hours of reading in a dark room (bed room at night) This is a prototype, buyer beware! What I am actually "selling" is an investment in further development of a similar product.

V2Light.zip is a short vid of the light being turned on in a dark room, and the 505 going from a page of text back to the TOC
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FLight.JPG
Views:	910
Size:	248.9 KB
ID:	11792   Click image for larger version

Name:	SLight.JPG
Views:	886
Size:	216.1 KB
ID:	11793   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dark.JPG
Views:	987
Size:	227.3 KB
ID:	11794  
Attached Files
File Type: zip V2Light.zip (2.05 MB, 565 views)

Last edited by aapezzuto; 03-26-2008 at 08:30 PM.