View Single Post
Old 11-15-2012, 05:47 PM   #1247
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Summer Knight

Since this threat is about Harry Dresden's books, here is a little something that is not

Applying the last posted interview from Alan (or do you prefer alansplace), I found Jim's coping technique for beeing stuck. Let's do the obvious and jump into Summer Knight:
Spoiler:
Right in the begining the drive-by as distraction for Tigreses attack must have been one of those fillers to add action
I don't think at the time he had any idea who/why/how/especially who. It is clear that later he in detail describes above mentioned character and explains the nature of, and who would get in contact with it
Spoiler:
as the Tigres is a very skilled assasin for hire for the real quick and dirty work.
That is the forthought and it made click in my head - if Harry explains what it is, then he would have a reapperance later on, because naturally Harry is psychic (not literally) and only provides us the readers with important information. Reappearance is then in the scene
Spoiler:
with Murphy in the mall, but the Tigres has to live yet to bridge it to the next event.
This I believe was one of the big events preplanned. To tie it together in the end, Jim dumps a very surprising and unexpected twist into the story by introducing a
Spoiler:
traitor into the story (the very first time as I recall in the series) - it also makes the Tigres beeing hired by a certain group through said traitor.

So we got a fine example of the techniques Jim described in the interview: filler for quick action, option to connect the dots later, bridge it over to a main pre-planned event, finishing it off by the end with explanation as to why (pun intended on the finishing off part).

What you guys think - was that a desperate move by Jim or carefully preplanned? I personally don't think it was preplanned this way, only
Spoiler:
the mall scene was planned ahead of time, and the "stairway to heaven" that needed a little bit of complications which Jim had no idea at the time, but could use the Tigres perfectly
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote