View Single Post
Old 02-04-2012, 01:47 PM   #7
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Said the man who proudly fought for the Union Army.

My friend as time passes many things that are not strictly true become accepted "folk lore."

In this case the "blue" and the "gray" have become synonymous with the North and the South in the American Civil War, but that was not actually the case.

Here is a simple explanation:

"The uniforms of the Civil War helped distinguish between the Union soldiers of the North, and the Confederate soldiers from the south. But early in the war, uniforms were provided by states, towns and wealthy individuals. This resulted in a confusing variety of styles and colors on both sides. Over time, blue became the official color for the North and gray for the Confederate uniforms."

http://www.kidport.com/reflib/usahis...r/uniforms.htm

The gallant soldier I use for my avatar is Thomas Jonathan Jackson.
History recalls him as "Stonewall Jackson."
He fought valiantly for the South, but please do not confuse my love of the history and traditions of my birthplace and stomping grounds with any politics. I also admire greatly the Northern General William Tecumseh Sherman.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote