View Single Post
Old 01-31-2011, 03:43 PM   #13
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Okay, this one gets my snark up....

Here we have it in a nutshell there: someone thinking that "the Internet" is synonymous with "the Web".

No, it isn't. Email, for example, is part of the Internet. The Web is just one of the many services that ride the Internet. It's mostly the young and inexperienced who think "the Internet" means "the Web" and nothing more. The kind of people who think 40 is old. The kind of people who think getting ones email is "never doing anything online" because it isn't the Web.

People used the Internet long before the World Wide Web was even invented. Yes, I did, among many others. And people are still using the Internet in ways that do not involve the Web.

Oh, by the way, I have relatives older than your grandparents. They use the Internet (in numerous ways, including the Web) all the time. The one relative I can think of who doesn't is one who lives in the back of beyond and probably couldn't get a decent dialup connection ... but one of these days, I might drop off a computer there just in case.

Before you start laughing at people who don't use the Internet in the same way you do, you should probably be sure you know what your terms mean. And think, also, of what those people are doing with the time that we're all spending yammering on MobileRead. I'm not sure that they don't have the best of it.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote