View Single Post
Old 12-08-2017, 10:50 AM   #16
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
I had the same with my old hoster. I think I switched about ten years ago and now pay €1.95 a month for 25GB storage, 150GB data traffic, SSL certificate, PHP and the works (no Python though...). I have my domain also there and my mail. It works fine and I almost never have an issue.
That's a very good price for those specs. Where are you hosted now?

I was hosted at Vevida in the beginning of the 2000's, but the only affordable plan they had back then was something like 25MB space and 1GB data, and PHP4. That was it, basically, so you could host some personal pages and do a bit of scripting as not to copy/paste HTML. Everything extra was expensive to the max for anything but companies wanting a big website. (AFAIK, you didn't even have a domain name; it was something like www.vevida.com/~15973/, just as with the spaces hosted at internet providers.)

Then in 2004 Antagonist came along. They offered everything, including domains and e-mail for an affordable price. I've been hosting with them for almost 14 years, but they got steadily more expensive. As of now, their smallest package offers 100GB of space, unlimited data, and... as you say, the works, except for Pyhton (I think). The price is €6.74 a month, without VAT, which comes down to €91 a year including VAT.

It's too much for hosting a personal Wordpress site with like 5 pages, and my e-mail of this year... but they don't have anything smaller.

I've moved to Vimexx (current nr. 1 hoster in the NL). They have a tiny package (2GB space, 25 GB data, without any additions such as Varnish cache and version control and such), for only €0.45 (€0.54 including VAT) per month.

Their next package at €4.49 (€5.43 including VAT, or €65) is more powerful than Antagonists smallest (an extra CPU core, 2GB of RAM instead of 512 MB), but €26 cheaper.

Even if the current smallest package at €0.54 inc.VAT is a special offer, with the normal price being €1.50 or €2 or something, it still is enough for most of what I do, but I would be interested in your host, just in case.

===

PS: In case this isn't clear: I'm not bashing Antagonist in any way. They have great functionality, excellent support by e-mail (send a problem/question, have it fixed within 1-2 hours at the most), and their prices are OK for what they offer.

The only reason for me to move is because their -smallest- package on offer is -way- bigger and thus more expensive than I need to have for a year's worth of IMAP mails and maybe a tiny Wordpress site.

If you need anything bigger than that, Antagonist is certainly a provider to go with, and maybe, in the future, if necessary, I will do so again... as long as other providers offering the same are not 25% cheaper.

Last edited by Katsunami; 12-08-2017 at 12:32 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote