View Single Post
Old 12-13-2017, 12:05 AM   #47
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Most of those so far mentioned owe more than a little to Tony Hoare, Ed Dijkstra, Kristen Nygaard and Ole-Johan Dahl. Nyggard and Dahl created Simula the forerunner of object-oriented languages.

Hoare, Dijkstra, and Dahl wrote a seminal book - Structured Programming - I call it the "Little Black Book", it sits close by my copy of Kernighan & Ritchie's "Little White Book".

The lady who taught me to program (Moira) was one of Hoare's students at Cambridge. My title here is a reference to his billion-dollar mistake, that's the cost he puts on his decision to furnish Algol with a null reference.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote