View Single Post
Old 04-13-2016, 07:44 AM   #42
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
A few years ago, Amazon accounted for 80 percent of my sales. Today it is more like 85-90 percent, alas. And these books are all packaged in a file ending in "mobi," so I reckon that that's what they are, whether they are delivered as KF7, KF8, or KFX. And if you choose to define mobi more strictly, then they are Kindle Format or Anti-Epub; they certainly aren't epubs.

I upload the same epub to the KDP and to Draft-2-Digital, but Amazon converts its copy to the portmanteau "mobi." I can't read that on my Nook or in ADE or any other software on my computer, and I can't read the epub on any of my various Kindle devices and apps unless I first crack the DRM and convert it on Calibre.

Obviously my stats are distorted because I write in English and because there's an American slant to much of what I write, but I am very skeptical that epub constitutes more than a quarter or a third of the e-books sold worldwide, certainly not nearly as much as a half. And I am also skeptical that its share is increasing, based on my own experience, as e-tailers draw back from competing with Amazon. This is a tragedy, but I think it's undeniable.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote