View Single Post
Old 09-29-2012, 04:01 AM   #6
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMcG View Post
I was just in another thread, discussing tables. And I like tables for formatting.
What about this?

George
Tables will work fine IF:
  • The lines of poetry are very, very short, so that you run ZERO risk of the first line ever wrapping inside the table cell, and,
  • The poem is extremely short in its entirety, so you never run the risk of the table rows being longer (greater in number) than the "page" (screen) of the device upon which it is being viewed.

See, if the book is an ePUB, most devices, if the table is long (numerous in rows) will simply skip past the entire table, as if it doesn't exist. Like an image that's too long to display--just jumps right past it. In the MOBI world a) in "Kindle for iPad," you currently get some very hinky border results (unwanted, mind you) during viewing, as right now, K4iPad is displaying both the K7 and K8 styling, and, yes, that's a real doozy; and, b) in MOBI 7, (e-ink) if the table is longer than the screen, on the second "page" (screen), the formatting breaks entirely, as if the device has "forgotten" that there is any table styling. As far as I know, this has not been fixed.

Truly, other than Jellby's suggestions, I do not believe that what you are seeking can be done, and I am fairly sure that right this second, it cannot be done on any Amazon format successfully. There's just no way, in CSS, that I know of, to tell a line that it needs to start at the end of the previous line, when in ebooks, the horizontal position of the last character of the last word of the previous line can (and does) always change. I think that the super/subscript idea is the best...but I also think the chance of that format breaking in various devices or readers is exceedingly high. FWIW.

The hidden text part will not work, at least, not right now, on any MOBI read in Kindle For iPad; it's developed hinks lately, displaying the styling not for K7 or K8, but both, which has been great fun (not) to deal with on ANY tabular solutions to situations like yours.

I wish I had something more clever to say, but I don't. The sub/super is probably your best bet. Good luck.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote