View Single Post
Old 05-09-2012, 04:26 PM   #62
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
When you are ready to try an audio track, I stumbled on an interesting one:

Hacker's Heaven
http://steve.savitzky.net/Songs/heaven/

Available as ogg:
http://steve.savitzky.net/Songs/heaven/heaven.ogg
And mp3:
http://steve.savitzky.net/Songs/heaven/heaven.mp3
Cute. It fits my style.

I suppose you noticed that in my (NON-life-critical and NON-mission-critical) code, I do not waste time or space to check return codes (except for the ioctl() so it can fall back to eips ''). Of course, I *do* write (other) life-critical and mission-critical code, and I was trained young (when most people did not know what a computer was) to write code that I can defend in court to "laypersons" (non-technical consumers of the pre-internet past)...

There is still a lot of my code out there running in factories in many countries around the world, and when you have very heavy equipment moving at high speeds in close proximity to humans, you do not want a heavy piece of your machine flying through a brick wall out into the parking lot because of a "little" coding error. When robotic machinery "crashes", you cannot just press the reset button and start over. Pushing pixels is much safer than pushing metal.

For hacker purposes, who cares if a broken video file makes your video display out of alignment to the screen? Just go download a good video file to replace the bad one...

P.S. There was not enough room on the mobileread tagline to fit my original "Bare-Metal Bit-Basher and Pixel-Pusher" that I wanted, but as you can see from recent posts is a more accurate description of my code. And if you want to know more about "bit-bashing" in a style that earns my respect, you absolutely MUST read these little "pure magic" web pages (the "DeBruijn sequence" code has been especially handy on multiple occasions):

The DeBruijn (pronounced "DeBroyn") sequence paper is especially magical. I used that method often before I switched to using "Bit Scan Forward" x86 instructions, and ArmV5 has "Count Leading Zeros", both of which obsolete the DeBruijn method, but I still have fond memories of it and it is worth learning just to stimulate your thought processes.

Also, the DeBruijn paper mentions "perfect hash". My original reason for using tinycc (tcc) was to implement "minimal perfect hash" code that generates C source code to fit your data, which is then "jit-compiled" with tcc from within my code. You should read up on mph too (be sure to read the comments at the top of the C programs at this link):

Last edited by geekmaster; 05-09-2012 at 08:07 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote