View Single Post
Old 03-31-2012, 01:14 AM   #11
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
If I'm reading this right (http://www.theverge.com/2012/2/24/28...g-in-windows-8), M$ is pretty much killing the Zune and "live" brands and just kind of integrating their services into Windows 8.
I would say don't bet money on any of that except for the Zune death. The rest is just repackaging/window dressing to "reinvent" themselves once again, and they will change the Master Plans as usual when they wish.

Vaporware! Vapor plans! That is Microsoft.

The corporate and business world is their bread and butter along with any (call it) mainstream machines.

There will be a Win8 tablet just like there is currently Win7 Tablets. I think they are coming too late and the hardware is going to make them cost too much. The sales should be mediocre except to specialized people and Apple and Android will just laugh.

There will be a Windows 9 and so on forever. Touch screen is not a contender for real world productivity. You need a mouse and a keyboard. You can consume (read or watch a video) on anything. When it comes to putting real work into the system, you need the mouse and keyboard and preferably something larger than 15" screen. Nowadays except when I am on the road I use a 23" or 26" screen.

Net-books will be the junction between the touch screen systems and the productivity machines. I find even a 11.6" machine a bit tight for my fingers, and I just can't get enough on the tiny little screen.
A 12.1 or preferably a 13.3 is a lot better for my fingers, but still the screen is not to my liking.

The new Apple Airs, and the Intel Ultras have good points, but I want big storage and 640SSDs are expensive. I also want an optical drive and regular I/O ports, so anything I get is going to be close to 3/4" or larger.

If I am going to be on the road for a while, I carry a 23" LCD to hook into my notebook. I read on that baby too but don't use all the screen. My Kindle these days usually has classics and writing and technical reference material and sits there like a second screen. That is really working out for me.

The Apple-Android war that SeaKing speaks of will be in the touch screen world. I got a used Archos 43 WiFi from a friend because I didn't want to spend a lot of money on something that would have problems in the future. Of course my wife has one of the zillion iPods that were sold.

I don't know how it will work out.