View Single Post
Old 10-23-2011, 07:13 PM   #12
photoluminations
photoluminations could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.photoluminations could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.photoluminations could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.photoluminations could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.photoluminations could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.photoluminations could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.photoluminations could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.photoluminations could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.photoluminations could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.photoluminations could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.photoluminations could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: none
Smile success controlling display & quality of images for mobi Fire

How to produce a mobi file that has illustrations centered, correct size, good quality? Use Calibre in two stages, instead of Kindlegen.

Method 2 works. The Recipe:

Specify images in the html with width/height in ppi; do not use percentage of width. This book is intended for reading on the Fire in landscape orientation, can't make it work there AND be flexible and fit on various devices. Sorry.

Feed the html to Calibre, generate epub. Calibre reduces quality of images, but this can be repaired.

Convert epub to zip, drag all the source images into the zip file--
Make any additions or corrections to the metadata and control files.

Convert the zip file back to epub.

Feed this revised epub into Calibre and generate mobi output.

View in the Kindle Previewer (NOT Kindle for PC).

The images seem to retain good quality using this method, they are placed where they should be, and there are no strange things happening.

We'll find out if this really works when the Fire is available.

Thanks again for all the advice. Even if it took a long time for me to believe what you were telling me. But then we're dealing with an amazon product...and I was trying to work to epub standards (learning on the job).

Last edited by photoluminations; 10-23-2011 at 07:21 PM. Reason: report solution
photoluminations is offline   Reply With Quote