View Single Post
Old 02-17-2011, 03:07 PM   #7
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Wow. iPad recycling sucks eggs. Of course, it isn't much better with a lot of other pieces of HW. Obviously an area that needs a lot a lot of development across the board.

Another thing about the assumption: It assumes consumers have to buy a device to read, as opposed to already having a device that can read, as well as do other things. Those who bought a smartphone or PDA for many uses, then turned it to reading as well, made it more efficient by substituting for more printed products (the same can be said for the iPad). Or, you could assume the carbon footprint of my cellphone is already balanced out by the other tasks to which I put it (making calls, balancing my checkbook, keeping track of my schedule, giving me directions, replacing a PDA, allowing me to edit documents, giving me web access, etc, etc) and therefore has 0 carbon footprint to compare to a printed book... I only have to read 1 book to make breakeven.

Which says a lot about assumptions in general, when you think about it...
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote