View Single Post
Old 09-26-2009, 08:17 AM   #15
PKFFW
Wizard
PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
Study upon study upon study has proved that file sharers buy more media on average than those who don't.
I often wonder about those studies.

How do they collect the data? Do they simply ask the file sharer's what their sharing and buying habits are? Or is there some other way they collect the data?

I wonder because it seems to me that many file sharer's would not be averse to twisting the truth in an online survey regarding how much stuff they buy after having first file shared it.

Q: If you have enjoyed the copy of a book you obtained through file-sharing do you then go out and purchase a "legitimate" copy of said book in order to support the author?

A: Oh sure I do, heck yes, of course! Why wouldn't I do that?

Seems to me the natural inclination of the survey respondent would be to perhaps embellish how much they actually do buy in order to make themselves feel a little better.

Of course, if the studies have a more accurate and verifiable method of collecting data then the above scenario would not come into play. And of course there would be many who would give completely honest answers too.

I just can't help wondering about all these famed studies though.

Cheers,
PKFFW
PKFFW is offline   Reply With Quote