View Single Post
Old 09-26-2009, 05:53 AM   #12
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
To be fair, authors whose works are only available as ebooks have a very legitimate concern about filesharing. While not every shared book represents a lost sale, because many of those who'll pick a book up for free would never buy it, some of those exchanges may be lost sales.

Steve Jordan's books are available without DRM, at reasonable prices, with several free samples available so people can find out if they like his writing enough to pay for it; his books shouldn't be handed around like the Harry Potter books are. (Which, as far as I can tell, mostly are exchanged among people who either own the pbooks and want a searchable copy for research, or people who would otherwise buy a $2 copy at a garage sale, which still doesn't get Rowling any money.)

It's possible that if some of his books *were* widely torrented, he'd make more sales of his other books. It's also possible that he'd make more sales for half a year, and after that, people would pick them up on the darknet instead of paying for them.
Steve Jordan's books are widely torrented, I've seen Verdant Skies in at least two different sci-fi torrent compilations over the last week or so. If that was my own work I'd be excited as hell that I was being recognised, not bummed about phantom lost sales. Those torrents have at least a couple hundred seeders and a thousand peers at any one time. That's a lot of people who might go on to read (and pay for) Steve's work afterwards.

And in any case, lose money, make money, at least Steve doesn't have to kiss the ass of an industry that is as pointless in the digital realm as a monkey at a giraffe-only tea party.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote