View Single Post
Old 12-13-2018, 08:57 AM   #30
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
Before Roku, before Amazon FireTv, before Google Tv. I think Apple's inability to get cable and Hollywood to support Apple's vision took away a lot of Apple's interest in Apple TV....and thus Apple has really been very slow to make anything of it more than they have.

As for home automation, Apple was first there too. However, Apple's security requirements made the products too expensive, opening the door to Amazon....as long as you really don’t care that much about security.

As for Lady In A Can...there is no business model for Apple. Siri makes the iPhone better, the HomePod better, the Apple TV better, the Apple Watch better. But by herself? There's no money to be made for Apple selling no-margin devices.

Apple has the iPhone and Google has both Android phones and a competing Google in a can. Amazon's place as retailer of choice is the only thing I can think of that keeps Google from blowing Alexa out of the water.

I still have little idea if Alexa makes any money for Amazon.

Apple and Amazon have somewhat different business models. Both are somewhat based on keeping you in the walled garden, but Apple has been focused on devices and now more and more services. Amazon is focused on selling you stuff. So it's actually not particularly germane if Siri or Alexi actually make money on their own, both are there to enhance the product and keep you in the walled garden.

I agree with you on Apple TV. Jobs originally wanted it to be a one stop shop for anything you wanted to watch. Basically Tivo on steroids. The cable providers and Hollywood blocked that. The current iteration of Apple TV is much closer to that vision. It's not perfect by any stretch, but it's a pretty interesting expansion.

I actually think that between Apple, Google and Amazon, Google is in the most jeopardy of losing their place which is basically being the ad king. That's where most of their profit is.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote