View Single Post
Old 10-12-2015, 07:47 AM   #26
Helsbelles
Helsbelles knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Helsbelles knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Helsbelles knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Helsbelles knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Helsbelles knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Helsbelles knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Helsbelles knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Helsbelles knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Helsbelles knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Helsbelles knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Helsbelles knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: kindle/windows phone
voices

Hello. I'm new here

I record Librivox audiobooks, and I was interested to come across this discussion - to do voices, or not to do voices? It's a tricky one, as if badly done it can ruin the experience. But I find that conversational books (and especially children's books) read without any attempt at 'acting' the dialogue tend to send me to sleep. I usually try to voice my characters and I hope I make a good fist of it, although I have occasionally come a cropper when the author flings in a character with an accent I can't do (I have awful problems sounding Scottish ).

I can recommend some great readers: Mil Nicholson does a marvellous job of Dickens novels. Karen Savage is a great reader, and seems to be able to read as effortlessly in an impeccable English accent as she does in a US one (and she even reads in Spanish). Tony Foster has the perfect regional accent for reading D. H. Lawrence authentically, and with great fluency and expression. And Andy Minter has a very endearing, genial vocal style and reads at a good pace and intelligent interpretation. All of these inspired me to read for Librivox myself. Definitely give them a try if you're hunting for good ones.

Helen
Helsbelles is offline   Reply With Quote