View Single Post
Old 11-08-2013, 01:50 PM   #11
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by tapar View Post
I am wondering if anyone is having difficulty adjusting to the PW2 touch screen, particularly for paging forwards and backwards? The reason I ask is my mom just got her new Kindle Paperwhite gen2 and is having some trouble making the jump from her older kindle with physical buttons for turning the page to the touch screen.

I remember going through a similar thing with my PW1, but I adjusted fairly well. I still prefer the physical buttons, but I was sold on the screen light and it was enough of an improvement for me to deal with the touch screen. My mother is a bit frustrated by it, she feels like she's fighting with the kindle to get the pages to turn. She is also noticing it jump a number of pages forwards or back and doesn't seem to be able to control things very well. I have never run into anything like that personally so I am not sure exactly what she might be doing to have that effect.

I am going to visit in a couple of days so hopefully I can watch how she is using it and surmise what is causing the trouble. I would like to go in with as many arrows in my quiver as possible so if anyone has any suggestions or tips I would love to hear them.
I haven't tested with enough people, to have some actual statistics.
But from what I've experienced it seems, children and old people tend to have problems with touch screens on readers. I don't see a difference between my Kobo Aura HD or Kindle Paperwhite Gen2.So I don't think it's unit-specific.
I think, it's way more simple:
Many old people have slower reactions and tend to press too long respectively not lift the finger fast enough. Children often are too hectic and re-press often.
Worst case scenario: My father in law does have arthritis. Holding the device is difficult. Using the touchscreen is sheer impossible...
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote