View Single Post
Old 02-08-2013, 02:11 AM   #10
Arobase40
Arobase40 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by universum View Post
By "struggling with this for weeks" I mean exactly that. In those weeks I've tried every apk with built in exploits I could find, most are dated and none have worked.

When I try to push, obviously without root privs, it won't let me. Of course chroot isn't available either... what I really want at this moment is to get Debian running.
When trying to boot adb in a root shell, I get the error "adbd cannot run as root on production builds."
There is a recovery script in /dev/ somewhere, I can't make heads or tails of it right now though, and again, the image it points to is probably in the ro filesystem so that's probably a dead end, though I know absolutely nothing about modifying recoveries or flashing ROMs (if they're even related).

What interests me about slate's post is that it says "it can be rooted..." I'd like to know how, at least, so I can attempt the process myself.

I have actually contacted Kobo Tech Help, but it turns out they really only offer help on the reader aspect... perhaps limited to Tapestries. I don't even think the agent understood the word "kernel." I was inquiring as to whether or not USB-OTG would be supported, if I found a means to mod the stream, i.e. a micro-to-A host adapter, would the standard ICS USB support be available... they replied by telling me there is no host port, only a micro. That's when I replied more specifically and then I was told they can only offer help on the reading side of things, the relay was then ended.
I asked what is meant by the "open access" to android advertised on the Kobo.com Arc Tech Specs page, but I got no response :/

Something tells me the devs are not associated with the tech help, at all.

I will not give up until I've unlocked the power of the Arc, haha.

[EDIT] I just saw, now, that slate has edited his post and there is no longer anything but dashes there, now. My heart has sunken and I shake my head at slate. Still.. I will not give up.
Don't even try to argument with the Tech support as they mostly don't know anything about the the inner side of the system.

Just ask them how to get in touch with the kobo dev team !!!

First question you need to ask them is : does this Tablet has a locked Bootloader or NOT ??? This is the most important question ever !!!

Depending of the answer, you will know if you have a chance to root the Kobo Arc or not...

You can try to ask them about the partition data structure or try to guess them from other similar devices...

For OTG, you just need to buy some OTG cables for some bucks and test them by yourself. Buy them from Amazon as with their policy you can easily get a refund if their don't work.

If you want to use USB stick or a SD Card (with a USB card reader), make sure they are formatted as FAT32...

If they work, you can install the Paragon NTFS apps from Google Play, so you can at least have access to the USB stick in read mode (no write mode as you need to have Root)...

Good luck.
Arobase40 is offline   Reply With Quote