View Single Post
Old 09-10-2012, 06:19 PM   #13
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
That used to work, but a firmware update turned that 'feature' off. At least that was true last time I tried it, and I haven't seen an update since then. Even when it 'worked' it was not particularly useable.
My nook was still running 1.0.1 firmware. I am downloading the latest 1.1.2 now. I will try it with the newest firmware.

EDIT: I cannot access web pages with 1.1.2. What's up with that? It's MY wifi, and MY ereader. Why the feature regression? Sadly, I did not back it up first. Oh well, a lot of websites did not work anyway. It sucks when they remove features (even crappy ones). Apparently, they WANT me to root it to restore the missing features.

If the Paperwhite has the same facebook and twitter "social networking" loopholes as the K5 did, you can still access any web page over 3G with a stock (fresh out of the box) Kindle, if you know how (but I would not recommend making a habit of it). Of course, amazon has the option to fix this in a firmware update if they so choose. It would be interesting to test these built-in "internet gateway" loopholes in the Paperwhite 3G.

However, other than testing for educational purposes, please do not abuse those loopholes. Thanks.

Last edited by geekmaster; 09-10-2012 at 09:10 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote