View Single Post
Old 03-29-2010, 11:03 AM   #34
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
I'm not sure if you mean you keep a non-dropbox monitored directory on each machine, or just let dropbox sync a copy on each machine.

I probably shouldn't even be discussing this, as I'm sort of guessing how dropbox works, but usually, the cloud holds a copy, and you point that copy to a directory on each machine. If a file gets updated in the monitored directory, the cloud sees that, it pulls a copy into the cooud and sends the updated file to all computers. That means that if you get a corrupted metadata.db file on any one computer, that corruption gets replicated to all.

There are two issues. The first is preventing corruption. Avoiding simultaneous use of Calibre on two computers goes partway to doing that, but as I posted, it isn't enough. A batch file launch with a dummy flag file can also help. The other issue is having a backup to recover from when/if a corruption gets replicated to all monitored directories. Don't expect a local copy to be a backup if that local copy is being monitored and updated by dropbox.
I'm sure there may be instances where one would have multiple copies of Calibre open at the same time but I can't think of a situation where I have or need to do that. I'm only working on one computer at a time, so I haven't had an issue.

Until BOb enlightened me I did have additional full copies of my library on all machines (Desktop = original + Dropbox, Laptop = Copy + Dropbox, Netbook = Copy + Dropbox). Now I've dropped the copies on my Laptop and Netbook (Desktop = original + Dropbox, Laptop = Dropbox, Netbook = Dropbox). My Desktop is backed-up constantly by Carbonite as well (and my Kindle 1 still holds all my Kindle books plus an FTP copy on my personal website that get updated occasionally).
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote