View Single Post
Old 08-13-2013, 02:11 PM   #141
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
Axel's Castle was published in 1931. I hadn't even thought to check Wilson's dates because the book has been available from Archive.org for such a long time. I used to have copies of his diary-derived books, The Twenties and The Thirties and thought of him as Fitzgerald's contemporary, which he was.

I also hadn't realized that even Fitz's books won't be in the public domain until 2021.

If the terms of U.S. copyright law are always the life of the author plus 70 years, then why has Axel's Castle been available on archive.org since 2005? Does that San-Francisco-based site not honor said terms in its own country?
there are lots of books in the public domain in the US due to grandfather clauses in US law but that does not matter on this site as the owner of the site has decided to use European law instead of US law moving forward. There are very valid reasons for his decision and we will be honoring it.

The current U.S. law agrees with this decision but as I have said there are grandfather terms about copyrights in the U.S. and their expiration and renewal terms.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote