View Single Post
Old 01-16-2012, 02:02 PM   #82
vtex
vtex began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by yifanlu View Post
That is not what GPL is. GPL v3 is a software license that gives Amazon the right to use the software provided they contribute to the project and release the source (which they've done).
Actually, all of the open source programs on the Kindle are licensed under GPLv2, which is more restrictive. GPLv2 requires the source code to be released if you distribute the programs in a binary form. This requirement is in addition to other covenants that bar the restrictions of its use.

Quote:
It has nothing to do with the filesystem that the software is located on.
You're forgetting that the underlying OS and filesystem are GPL software. You would be free to add files to it as you see fit as Amazon cannot impose restrictions on it's use.

Quote:
In addition the ad manager is NOT GPL, it is amazon's code.
You bring up a valid point that some programs on the device cannot be freely distributed or modified as they are proprietary. This however does not extend to the simple act of adding a file to the operating system.

Quote:
Also, if amazon wants to prevent users from modifying the open source software, they can. The license is an agreement between Amazon and the open source software makers, not them and the users.
Shall we actually quote relevant parts of the GPLv2 here?

Quote:
Each time you redistribute the Program (or any work based on the Program), the recipient automatically receives a license from the original licensor to copy, distribute or modify the Program subject to these terms and conditions. You may not impose any further restrictions on the recipients' exercise of the rights granted herein. You are not responsible for enforcing compliance by third parties to this License.
As you can see, as the recipient, I automatically receive the same license to modify the software from the original licensor.

Quote:
Yes, you have the right to modify system files in my opinion, but it isn't because of the GPL license of the software. If you want to remove ads, fine, do so, but don't justify it with faulty arguments. I do not consider it illegal because I am for complete control of the device (although amazon may be of different opinion, in fact, in their TOS, jailbreaking in general is against their terms, which they could say is legally binding). I consider it unethical because the user given the choice of removing ads for $40 (unlike many services where the option is not provided at all) and by bypassing Amazon out of their $40 is unethical (regardless that they're a huge company that makes millions).
Well, you are welcome to your opinion I suppose. I have tried my best to justify my arguments here, which I do not believe are faulty. Amazon chose to use GPL software for the simple fact that it saves them a ton of money. They figured, correctly, that most users would not educate themselves about their rights and just use the product as-is.
vtex is offline   Reply With Quote