View Single Post
Old 01-17-2013, 09:52 AM   #15309
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No. Absolutely not. The Greek original assuredly doesn't rhyme - in fact the very concept of rhyming didn't exist in Greek poetry, because it's almost impossible to do in a highly inflected language such as Greek. You're right in saying that there were standard techniques for memorisation, but it didn't involve rhyming.
Quite so... but the 'feeling' is the same. And the reason works such as 'The Song of Hiawatha' are so soothing to read. There is a fluidity to them that is enjoyable. Well, enjoyable to me, anyway.

Quote:
But we're straying off topic here. I hope you enjoy your Pope,
Thanks, it's a re-read for me, but not since my school days. Same translation, but this time on my e-reader, and I have the advantage of NOT being a classicist... It gives me more options.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote