View Single Post
Old 10-04-2012, 02:10 PM   #329
wynand32
Enthusiast
wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader 505
After spending some quality time with the PW last night (the sync issues having been resolved, which was causing me to use it less), I have to say that overall I really do enjoy using it to read. Yes, the lighting has some inconsistencies, not only at the bottom but in some odd "pinkish" tints, but I also noticed two things:

1. Those same inconsistencies seem to vary based on the screen's angle to ambient light. That is, shifting the screen to one side or another horizontally had a noticeable effect on how much variability I could see in the screen. Note that I still haven't read in complete darkness for any amount of time, mainly because I just never have occasion to do so (my wife sleeps well no matter if the light's on or off).

2. I did notice a blue tint at places on the screen, like some have mentioned, but for me that was absolutely caused by shadows from my thumb and fingers. I could avoid any blue tint simply by not putting a shadow on the screen.

I'm not sure how applicable any of this is for anyone else, but it's certainly my experience. Overall, I like the PW, and it fits my use case pretty well. If a person reads primarily in the dark, then maybe the lighting inconsistencies would be harder to accept.
wynand32 is offline   Reply With Quote