View Single Post
Old 09-05-2012, 11:00 AM   #12
brewt
Boo-Frickety-Hoo-Erizer
brewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Glo HD!
Yes, we can control how the drop cap works. What we cannot control so well is how the lines break around them, because the page width is an unknown in reflowable books. In the lovely Soyans Gais example, the AU CONCERT VATOIRE chapter, if you have your view the width set single-column full screen *might* show part of what I've talking about. The second paragraph (Il faut vous dire) starts with an indent, and can land on the second line of the drop cap. Sure, it changes to something more pleasant with a narrower width, but it happens often enough--at least, in the books I'm building, even on smaller screens--that it is bothersome. At least to me. That is something I don't seem to be able to find an acceptable solution for enough of the time (could be solved with scripting, maybe), which is what has led me to abandon the lovely things, with regrets.
But, don't let me stop anyone else. Because I do like dropcaps. Wish I were a clever enough typographer to make them work more often for the situations I so readily seem to keep running into. Dang it.
-b
brewt is offline   Reply With Quote