Thread: CSS / dropcaps
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2012, 01:57 AM   #31
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
my 2 cents: designing & coding artistic drop caps may be satisfying for some, & may impress the hell out of publishers, but when it comes to actually reading the e-book they are a complete waste of space.

They add nothing to readability - I actually prefer to zap them by editing to make "dropcaps" an empty style in the CSS many books that I read.

same goes for arty chapter heading styles.

I suspect the desire for these goes way back to bored medieval book-copying monks creating doodles around opening letters - we should have outgrown that by now!. Millions of web articles are perfectly readable without any drop caps, so why have them in e-book novels

what's the counter argument for drop caps actually impoving the reading experience, rather than the book-selling figures ?

I want to read the book & nothing but the book - all the vanity stuff ( glowing review extracts, other books by, dedications to people I''ve never heard of, ) is zap fodder. If I want to know more about the author or see other books by I use Google !

i know it aint going to happen this way - it's like wishing or a movie DVD that starts with the movie , not with the unskippable logos & adverts crap - just giving a readers persective on all this misguided creativity
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote