View Single Post
Old 10-09-2010, 03:35 AM   #3
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
A small word of caution: sharing libraries on dropbox like this opens the possibility of the dreaded 'conflict' problem. If by chance you and your parents open calibre at the same time, then the metadata.db file will likely change differently in both places. Dropbox signals this (very discretely) as a 'conflict', and starts creating files ending in .1, .2 etc. The result will be confusion, because the two locations won't be using the same metadata database. Books could disappear, metadata changes won't be visible, etc.

I do something similar with dropbox, but with another step to avoid the conflict problem, and also to avoid someone else making changes to my library. My master copy of my library is not shared by dropbox. From time to time I use a sync program to copy the library to a dropbox-shared folder, and off it goes. If I get a conflict problem (hasn't happened yet because I update at weird times), I just rebuild my master and tell dropbox to remove the .1/.2 etc conflicts.

The dropbox copy is also where I run calibre2opds, embedding my library web site in it. My server (running in a data center on a VPS) is a dropbox client, so it gets the library updates, including the calibre2opds files. Voila -- my library on the web, without having to run calibre-server or open my home network.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote