View Single Post
Old 08-10-2010, 01:14 PM   #8
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSM-101 View Post
... I could get 33(!) books. If I buy a Kindle 3 I have to pay at least $9.99 ...
It very much depends on what exactly you want to read.
If you set your eyes, on one particular book and you have to have it, then your math is right.

Long time ago I relied on Public library for the vast majority of my reading materials. I quickly went through obvious choices and my favorite authors that I haven't read yet. So I was browsing the "newly acquired books" bookshelf, I was shifting through the pile of most recently returned books that haven't been returned to shelfs yet. I learned to be an opportunist. If I wanted to find my 5-7 books quota for the following week I had to take anything that looked even remotely interesting. And very often I found things I wouldn't have checked out otherwise.

If you are an opportunist like me, then you can find many years worth of reading on the net free of charge. I am talking about books that are legally available. I am not talking about old dusty books, even if many people still find good old Charles Dickens, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Jonathan Swift still highly readable.
Check Baen Free library, check the Fifth Imperium CDs, look at the top of this page for the link named Books, look through our wiki page here
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Free_eBooks
and through our Deals and Freebies thread
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26

There are many promotional offers and free books from authors that want to break through. You will need to go through lots of ... aehm ... very low quality stuff here, but this is the price you pay for this kind of "free".
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote