View Single Post
Old 04-14-2020, 03:09 PM   #6
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
No, it's the opposite. If a paragraph runs across a page break then the smaller bit before or smaller bit after so page is filled is the Widow or Orphan. I forget which is which. Intuitively I'd imagine a line (or two) finishing a paragraph but on the top of the next page is an Orphan and a line (or two) alone that's the start of a paragraph on the bottom of a page is the Widow. But I may have them back to front.

I think a setting of one basically means a paragraph doesn't jump to the next page if otherwise a Widow or Orphan is created. I can't see how 0 has a meaning. But I could be wrong.

If you have to page back to re-read a paragraph in entirety to understand it, it MIGHT be there is a widowed or orphaned line (or two, or three), or it might mean it's badly written or you were distracted. Obviously it's easier to cope with a split paragraph were neither the orphan or widow is less than four lines. Or three.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote