View Single Post
Old 07-15-2018, 01:23 PM   #30
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
If that's true, why is it no website application I've ever used has a fraction of the usability of Word/Writer, Excel/Calc. Powerpoint/Impress etc.

BR
Red:

Not a programmer, bro. Thus, I can't answer. But I suspect that the ability to completely control the environment, like a word-processor, with a specific set of tasks/abilities, gives you perceived power. For example, how you can create pretty much any kind of list, with custom numbering, in a word-processor--but you can't, in HTML, not without sacrificing perfect hanging indents.

The thing I find about "web" applications or many programs, is that their power is in their flexibility, to do many things--but there's a massive learning curve involved, and that power makes them harder for the user to manage. I mean...for example, Wordpress versus eZPublish (CMSes). Wordpress is dead easy. You can be braindead and still make a viable blog. eZPublish, on the other hand, can be used to run (and does) a CondeNast website, with all its massive functionality, displays, etc. But using eZPublish is a freaking nightmare, if you no-speaka-de-code. But if you need a big-ass website that has all kinds of functionality, from blogging to sliders to contact forms to forums to this to that to the next thing, eZPublish can and will do it. IF you can make it do so, LOL.

That's my two cents, but inarguably, word processors are built on HTML. I mean, look at WordPerfect; disguised, GUI HTML, no more, no less. Opening and closing codes, just like HTML. Word changed that up, so that the closing code contains all the styles, etc., for the preceding element, but...SSDD. That's why exports from Word, etc., are practically eBook-ready, if the user/author has used headings and styles.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote