View Single Post
Old 12-07-2022, 07:54 AM   #13
Critteranne
Guru
Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulpmeister View Post
Almost all Sherlock Holmes adventures were short stories, so it is in the short story field you will find the best Holmes take-offs, whether pastiche or parody.

You might think of August Derleth's Solar Pons series of stories, very much in the character of the originals; or at the other extreme the outright spoofs and jokes versions, by everyone from J M Barrie and Bret Harte onwards.

There are many spoofs and pastiches in the Past Masters series of anthologies of short stories in the Patricia Clarke Memorial Library.
There is a series called the Peschel Press 223B Casebook Series that has collected a huge number of these -- by year. Along with essays and more than 150 footnotes! I haven't bought any of them (yet), so I don't know what the ebook quality is like.

Here is the first one on Goodreads:
https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/sh...-and-pastiches

The reviews of the first one on Amazon were pretty bad, mostly because people didn't like the stories. But I think people expected the stories to be more like pastiches and were upset to get a lot of parodies. But how else are you going to find a penny dreadful story about Sherwood Hoakes without spending a lot of money?
Critteranne is offline   Reply With Quote