Thread: writing dialog
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2021, 10:51 PM   #30
robintes
Banned
robintes knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'robintes knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'robintes knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'robintes knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'robintes knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'robintes knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'robintes knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'robintes knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'robintes knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'robintes knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'robintes knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Android tablet, Kobo Forma
CL
Q
Now it looks more like the original poster is unfamiliar with the conventions of written dialogue in the English language. Either way, I'm nonpussed.
UQ

This must be a new marketing tool - Diss the paying Customer (Reader)

Its already been noted on this thread that Academics have largely ignored the need for Dialog construction. Its also been said that often Authors are careless or ignorant of basic Dialog rules and furthermore the hapless Reader is in fact quite flexible in following sloppy dialog UP TO A POINT

After that the plot gets lost and immersion broken. Its what I have found and its made worse by the nature of Ereaders and their shortened pages

So my OP was a wake up call to see if this new media could offer some improvements/innovations in the system. I'm encouraged to see that cages have been rattled and even dummies spat out

Its illuminating to note that we have two distinct parties to this discussion. On the luddite left we have the Publishers who have the benefit of overviewing thousands of MS per year complete with all their pros and cons, while on the restless right side we have authors of varying places in the great pecking order of selling success all jostling, individually isolated. with "me first" fervour.

I suppose we should also mention the Centre party - The Critics - the bane of both sides

Novel suggestion herein - using emoticons or even text colours to identify speakers

Some here are thinking out of the box

As the progenitor of HP salesmanship Alfred A Tack often said "Sell the sizzle, not the steak" and also "Your first 10 words are worth more than your next 100"

The beginnings of formulaic style taken up by.................

"It was the afternoon of my eighty-first birthday, and I was in bed with my catamite when Ali announced that the archbishop had come to see me."

In real life intercourse it seems "If you use more than 5 words in a sentence - you've lost 'em"
Have you noticed now that people no longer listen to you. They hit overspeak even before you finished your sentence. ME ME ME

So how would you get that style of parlance into dialog - its ever prevalent. Note how the more aggressive TV interviewers behave

This board seems largely composed of the LEFT so no point issuing a challenge on the above premise as Publishers dont write. The RIGHTers are too busy scribbling away in their lonely sheds to waste time on this anal subject

Feel free to krap on me from a dizzy height

Lung Chang
robintes is offline   Reply With Quote