View Single Post
Old 10-08-2013, 07:27 AM   #585
tacitus
tacitus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tacitus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tacitus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tacitus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tacitus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tacitus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tacitus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tacitus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tacitus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tacitus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tacitus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I apologize if this has been answered in one of the previous 39 pages, but I'm using KindleUnpack to access a mobi file of my book generated by Calibre. The formatting of the mobi file is perfect for my needs, but the Calibre tool doesn't allow me to use the Table of Contents I added myself (the formatting doesn't allow the conversion tool to detect the TOC correctly).

All I want to do is add the requisite "toc" tag in the HTML file and add a line to the OPF so that the Goto feature works correctly for my book, which is why I was trying KindleUnpack (which works great). But after making the edits (just one line each in the HTML and OPF files), when I zip up the files and either use KindleGen or the online KDP tool, I lose a lot of the formatting of my book -- namely the spacing and indenting of all the paragraphs, the top margins, and any empty lines I use for padding at the top of the page.

It seems as though some of the requisite CSS is missing -- there are no stylesheet settings for paragraphs in the HTML anywhere in the html file, just the inline formatting on the tags themselves (which doesn't specify margins or indents).

I must be missing something? Calibre gets me so close, with the exception of this TOC issue, and with KindleUnpack I have a way to fix that, but the formatting then goes to pot.

It's very frustrating. (I've also tried going via epub but Sigil seemed to screw things up too!). Am I missing something, or is KindleUnpack not extracting something that would allow the Calibre formatting to be maintained (like a stylesheet, or something)?
tacitus is offline   Reply With Quote