View Single Post
Old 10-07-2019, 02:44 PM   #8
BobC
Guru
BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1, BeBook Pure, Kobo Glo, (and HD),Energy Sistem EReader Pro +
Your Maggie Brown is difficult - the form of her name Margaret (Hamer) Andrewes is more American than U.K and would indicate that she was born Margaret Hamer and married a Mr Andrewes. That though may not indicate a U.S origin.

Working on the idea that her first book was published ~1884 I estimated that she would have been born sometime before 1864. So I checked for British births prior to that date. One thing became clear - the Hamer name seemed to be very much a Lancashire thing. That would be lucky as Lancashire probably has one of the most extensive online set of BMD records. Most Margaret Hamers born around this time had a second name and there was nothing to show which was really of interest.

Looking at possible marriages of a Margaret Hamer to an Andrews I came up a 1896 marriage between a Margaret Hamer and either a Walter Isaac Vincent or a Herbert Edward Andrewes. The amiguity in the marraige partner is due to the algorithm used to match possible partners - there will be four with the same reference, two male and two female.

So I then did a forward check in the censuses for Herbert Edward Andrewes and in 1911 he is shown living in Highgate, London, a stockbroker. His wife is Margaret Andrewes born around 1865 in Leeds.

I confirmed that with the 1901 census - in that one the second "e" was missing from the Andrewes name.

Armed with Margaret's age/Date of Birth) and Place of Birth I was able to locate her pre-marriage in 1891. At that point she was living with her parents at St Pancras - John Hamer, a publisher from Yorkshire and his wife Sarah S Hamer, an Authoress from Yorkshire. Margaret is described as an Authoress so we are clearly onto the right person.

Now to her death - armed with her date of birth a check on Margaret Andrewes, born ~1865 and died in the London area returned only one possible : Margaret Andrewes born 1865 died Jan/Feb/Mar 1937 at Edmonton Middlesex.

I'm confident that here we have the death of your Maggie Brown.

She seems to have come from a successful family - she had one brother who was a Physician with a degree from Cambridge and another who was an Editor. In 1891 the family had two domestic servants.

I Hope this gives you the evidence you need for her date of death.

BobC

P.S. Look at the Wikipedia entry for Sarah Sharp Hamer who wrote as Phyllis Browne

Last edited by BobC; 10-07-2019 at 03:19 PM. Reason: to add the P.S.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote