Thread: Name that book?
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2012, 03:19 PM   #593
Chris Jones
Addict
Chris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five words

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
Don't forget to check out the books available here on MobileRead. Many of them are more carefully assembled e-books than those available on Project Gutenberg. For example I recently read "Three Men in a Boat (To Say Nothing of the Dog)" by Jerome K Jerome from the library here, it is a beautifully constructed epub that includes illustrations, and there are other fine examples too.
Ah...! Thanks much for the tip. I have already noticed some pretty scary stuff in books I downloaded from PG.. not to mention archive.org or Google books, which believe it or not are even worse.. I have seen some stuff that is pretty much unreadable, where page numbers (!) actually overlay the text.. and this means that before I can read the book, not only should I proofread it.. but I also get to rewrite the .css stuff as well :-)

Heck, I'm not complaining.. but I did get carried away a bit at PG: I now have a calibre library that comprises no less than 5821 "books" in twelve different languages, most of which I can actually read.. with er.. variable fluency. I even managed to download one in Czech somehow.. probably off the Project Gutenberg "Sci-fi CD" collection. Of course, I'm not fluent in any slavonic language, so all I could tell is that it's a one-act play and I think by the gentleman who originally coined the term "robot".

Of course, I'm not planning to read all those books from cover to cover, but I think it's rather nice to have one's own personal (not everyman's) library handy and be able to pick up something or other depending on what mood you're in.

And as yet, I don't even own an e-reader..

OK... better stop bragging, for now.
Chris Jones is offline   Reply With Quote