View Single Post
Old 07-30-2009, 12:18 PM   #58
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The Kindle does not have WiFi; it has a cellular telephone connection. They are entirely different things.
TRUE! I've got a Kindle 2 and the their Whispernet is Sprint and even in 3G it is incredibly slow. It sometimes takes 30 minutes to download a book when not in 3G, and you cannot use the Kindle 2 while it is downloading. Wireless LAN would be next to useless outside the home as most wireless routers are now protected and locked. BTW: The web features on the Kindles are mostly useless because the processor is too slow to support them, and Whispernet will eat up a battery charge in just a few hours.

It seems to me that the manuals are in the early state of development. If they are the most recent editions, then I would not expect an August release. Of course the information that has been discovered could be old.

I like the idea of the 600 not having the light so that the screen is crisp and readable like my 505. I also like the touchscreen. But beyond that, any new functionality needs to come in better firmware and format supports. That is, interactive dictionary, bookmarking by being able to highlight specific text (not whole pages), true customizable folder/directory support, etc.