View Single Post
Old 06-26-2015, 03:10 AM   #40
nomistakes
nomistakes began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy note 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hofferic View Post
  1. Yes, CalibreBox takes the predominant "vibrant" colors from the book cover to color the ActionBar. I might add an option to disable this completely but I do not have any input into the process Android uses to determine these colors. I tried several variants of color palettes Android can create and liked this one the best as the "muted" version tends to go into mushy colors. I also think that in most cases having two different colors works very well and computing my own "darker shade" for the upper bar would be rather involved if I try to avoid edge cases. I will have to look into this and either find some intelligent way to handle wildly disparate colors or allow users to disble the behaviour if they are annoyed by it.
  2. The "open book" button tries to open a local copy first. It will only result in a new download if there is no ocal copy or the local copy is outdated. Id will also dismiss the notification and open the file as soon as it is available instead of keeping the notification around for you to click later.
    Updates of existing book files are handled by the "open" download mode (the regular mode will _always_ overwrite existing copies) as long as the change has also had an impact on the library.
    Auto-updating books would require a list of all downloaded files and checking them in the background regularly. It would also most likely have to use dropbox timestamps directly, which I do not currently keep on file. But I MIGHT implement such a list of books in the future to support cards for google now when the api becomes available, so it might be a possibility then
  3. Yes, that is indeed space reserved for ads. I tried to make them hide when no ads are available but that led to no ads loading when they where available again when a user wasn't blocking them and that defeats the purpose of an ad-supported version
    The Pro version should be available as long as you have an internet connection and are logged into your google account. Could you show me a screenshot of the "no internet connection" error message so I can verify if the problem lies with my implementation of Googles interface?
  4. Custom Columns are supported in the pro version. The detail view shows most custom column values (some I didn't test so the presentation may be a bit off for dates and enums ). Also you can filter and sort based on them! (One of the reasons I decided to build my own app was missing something along those lines on mobile. Plus I needed a topic for my bachelors thesis )
  5. Right now I have no plans to support other cloud storage options because my code is tied very closely to the Dropbox programming interface right now. I would have to look into whether or not OneDrive offers the same features and put some abstraction in between to support more than one option, but for now I am aiming for the most integrated expirience possible (like the library update reminder and library adding feature which use specific dropbox funtionality. That functionality may not be available in a similar enough form with other storage providers).

I don't know in which direction you want to propagate the changes you make.
  • Mobile Device -> Desktop
This would require me to practically re-implement the entire dropbox app, which is not happening. If you change a file on your device you will have to overwrite it using something like the dropbox app (which will then cause dropbox to update the file on your compter int turn). For a way to keep the file permanently in sync see below.
  • Desktop -> Mobile device
If you make any changes to a file that is synchronized with dropbox (which the have to be to wirk with the app, so that is obviously not the problem) dropbox will update the copy on their servers. After that you will at the moment have to re-download the book in CalibreBox to get the changed copy to your device. This is required because auto-updating copies on your device would use a lot of ressources (and programming effort) for rather little return. If the right-hand download option (open directly) does not update the copy on your device (because the entry in the calibre library has not changed, which is checked to avoid multiple downloads of the same file in this mode) you can force a new download by using the right-hand download menu, which will ALWAYS download the file anew and overwrite any copy that may have been downloaded before.
  • Consistent Synchronization
Direct synchronization of a file, one-way or in both directions, is not what this app is built for. If you want to do this frequently you may want to look for an app that actually synchronizes files with dropbox rather than allowing a simple way to find contents therein for download. One example of such an App would be Dropsync which I have neither tested nor am I affiliated with the developer
With Leger Calibre is it possible to read the Calibre db stored on the device and syncronized with dropsync pro.

The result is that each time I open and edit a pdf, that modification is synced back on the cloud.

I was looking for a solution in order to do the same thing directly from Dropbox, it doesn't make sens (for me) creating a duplicate file of cloud service
nomistakes is offline   Reply With Quote