Thread: SciFi history?
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2010, 09:39 AM   #8
mike_bike_kite
Digitally confused
mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, K2i, Nexus 7 32gb, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedtouch View Post
Well, because electronic readers weren't thought of back then when the book was written. Paper was the medium of information transfer.
I certainly wasn't putting Heinlein down for missing future inventions but SciFi aims to show us the future and sadly the world really hasn't changed that much since the whole genre began. It was just quite nice to suddenly come across an example where reality had actually outpaced fiction for once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillAdams
I'm trying to think of the first such instance, but blanking --- anyone?
The Commodore Pet came out in 1975. If you like the history of personal computers then this coffee table book is great Digital Retro.

Last edited by mike_bike_kite; 07-13-2010 at 09:44 AM.
mike_bike_kite is offline   Reply With Quote