View Single Post
Old 11-18-2018, 06:42 AM   #5
mesblau
mesblau will become famous soon enoughmesblau will become famous soon enoughmesblau will become famous soon enoughmesblau will become famous soon enoughmesblau will become famous soon enoughmesblau will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3 (7gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
The answer to all of your questions is: YES.

Your [3] is the best for a new user.

The Firmware version(s) mentioned and Hardware model(s) mentioned are only references to what was used during the development of the directions, they are not limitations.
All devices (except the 2 Oasis models) since (and including) the K4 use the same process, with the same serial port pin-out, with changes to filenames only - with a possible exception of the filesystem layout of the PW4. So don't try to brick your new PW4 just yet.

In [2] you will find links to electrical connection methods other than using "hot solder". If not experienced with that skill, check out the contents of those links.
Does that mean that I can also apply the jailbreak that was installed in step 24 of [2]?

I had thought only to make the connection by serial and install SSH to make it more comfortable so:

1- I need to do the jailbreak?
2- What advantages does it add? what cool things jailbreak add?
3- Do I need the jailbreak to install SSH?
4- If I have access by SSH, and update the Kindle firmware, do I still have access by SSH?
5- I have soldering experience, but I prefer not to weld anything to my Kindle, I had thought to do it like here [4], no problem no?

Thanks!

[4] - https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...06&postcount=1
mesblau is offline   Reply With Quote