View Single Post
Old 07-12-2018, 09:29 PM   #39
DopeGhoti
DopeGhoti began at the beginning.

Device: Good Ereader 6.8
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkowske View Post
Hi all,

I was very close to ordering one of these before I found this forum post. It sounds like their issues with inventory might be sorted out now.... but really I am interested in how the e-reader compares/performs. I can't find any reviews of it online other than by Good e-Reader itself. Has anyone else reviewed it? Any problems any of you have encountered so far?

Additionally, since you can't install Google Play store (it sounds like) -- how are apps installed?
I don't have the wherewithal to do anything resembling a proper review, but I'm happy to answer any questions you might have.

I haven't had any problems with mine and I've been using it pretty heavily (mainly for notetaking) since it came in. The stylus remains very nicely responsive, the backlight is comparable to that of a Kindle Paperwhite. The built-in tools (ebook readers, notetaking/drawing) are pretty good, but the Android infrastructure is somewhat lacking.

It's only running Android 4.4.2 which is, put mildly, very very old. I would not call any Android apps anything resembling "fast" or "snappy". The only PDF reading software is by way of Android apps; there is nothing built-in for them.

The closest things I have to a complaint are the lack of a "left-handed" mode, and that there does not seem to be away to adjust the intensity of the backlight without drilling into the Settings menu/app.

As you mentioned, the Play Store will not function, but you can sideload any .apk that you care to. The Amazon Android App store provides them, and there are many other sources for application files that you can sideload. It also comes with a "good e-reader eInk app store" that I have not looked too deeply into yet.
DopeGhoti is offline   Reply With Quote