View Single Post
Old 06-01-2017, 10:15 AM   #3
lbschenkel
Enthusiast
lbschenkel has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'lbschenkel has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'lbschenkel has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'lbschenkel has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'lbschenkel has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'lbschenkel has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'lbschenkel has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'lbschenkel has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'lbschenkel has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'lbschenkel has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'lbschenkel has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'

Device: Kobo Aura 1, Kindle DXG, Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Can you make it so this plugin works off of the filename and also allows manually inputting the ASIN? As it is, this isn't of any use to anyone who does not buy Kindle eBooks.
That's a fair question and I realized that I should have clarified this in my initial post.

Due to the way these 'secret' Amazon URLs work, I must be able to trace a book to a specific Kindle ASIN. I don't know how most users are managing their libraries and how obsessive they are: I personally add ASINs to the equivalent Kindle edition for every non-Kindle book in my library (I usually find them via Goodreads). Since I created this plug-in to scratch my own itch, this approach works well enough for the obsessive-compulsive librarian like me.

I don't get what you meant by "manually inputting an ASIN". You can already manually add it to the identifiers using the keys "amazon" (and any national variant), "asin" or "mobi-asin". Maybe you're thinking that it must be embedded in the book? This plug-in only looks at the metadata, not whatever is inside the book (if the book has an ASIN then Calibre automatically adds a "mobi-asin" when adding it, which will be recognized by the plug-in).

If you don't want to enter Kindle ASINs in your books, I would need to scrape a site like Goodreads and find all Kindle editions for the book and try all the ASINs (scraping Amazon.com does not really work well enough because it does not always show all old Kindle editions that are no longer being sold). This is certainly doable in a technical sense, but it'll introduce quite a lot of additional complexity and moving parts that are prone to break and that will require additional maintenance effort of my part. I'll need to think about that. Either way, I would rather do this in a later stage, after nailing down the "simple" implementation first. I'm still open to ideas/suggestions, though.

Last edited by lbschenkel; 06-01-2017 at 10:21 AM.
lbschenkel is offline   Reply With Quote