View Single Post
Old 11-06-2013, 01:38 PM   #90
MarekGibek
Zealot
MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kobo Touch N905C
Announcement

I can see that this thread is still active (and I like it ) so I would like to announce that there are new kernel changes made by me.

I've implemented full refresh (when full screen content changes). It's not good for page scrolling or playing games but at least when you are reading (we want to use it for reading, after all?) there are no "ghosts" behind letters and general contrast is much better because of that. So if you are using debian not for playing games but for reading you may like it.

I did also very simple modifications for Calibre's ebook-viewer:
- auto hide/show controls on full screen mode
- larger side margins for two columns mode
- a fix for turning pages
Two columns mode is very nice to have on horizontal orientation. And I've found calibre's viewer to be the best (in my opinion) for viewing ePub files. You have the easiest access to enlarge font settings and the best content rendering engine.

I have also found that there is a very good dictionary app for Linux - called goldendict. It can be configured to hide to the tray and if you double click on a word in callibre's ebook-viewer - the popup with description pop ups. English is not my native language so I use it very frequently. And it is much easier to find good dictionary for it than for original kobo software. If you have wifi on it will include great definitions from wikipedia (with pictures etc). The two apps play very well together.

Please also take note that I've made mistake with Firefox/Icewasel configuration - by installing AdBlock plugin there. The plugin is very memory hungry. Disabling it gives you enough memory for good browsing experience. If you want to block ads, there is somewhere in the internet a list of ad sites you can redirect to localhost by adding them to /etc/hosts config file.

https://github.com/marek-g/kobo-kernel-2.6.35.3-marek
https://github.com/marek-g/calibre

Last edited by MarekGibek; 11-06-2013 at 01:49 PM.
MarekGibek is offline   Reply With Quote