View Single Post
Old 02-22-2011, 09:41 PM   #7
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Quote:
Originally Posted by bZkindle View Post
http://www.slate.com/id/2285434/

yep. I'm pretty much in agreement.
he doesn't mention actual book reading but I think it fails there too.
Like him, I would like to know how I'm wrong.

*I hope this is in the right section.*
bZ:

Bummer the iPad is not for you but also nice to see you, nor I, am alone in how we see the device. I was lucky enough to get to test drive one for an hour or so rather than buy. I just felt far more claustrophobic using it compared to the 4th gen Touch I was also using at the same time. And while I could see owning a Touch for a long time, maybe, I can't see the iPad as filling my needs even to the 50% point. I am hopeful of the Eee 121 when it hits the shelves and we'll see what develops and if the price holds, it just might as it's the only device running a real desktop OS, Win7, only with a touch wrapper around it. So time will tell.

Some of the apps I want to be able to use are OneNote (there is a sort of OneNote app but it felt weird still I did not spend a lot of time with it), email of course, but also Dragon NaturallySpeaking (also has an app but, on the iOS platform it REQUIRES an active web connection which in many instances will be impractical or even impossible), I have several custom Windows apps I wrote for my business needs as well as a vertical market app I use to manage my business. None of these can be ported to iOS, well I could easily port two of my three custom apps but I seriously don't want to do that much coding anymore.

So for me, unless I can get at least the NaturallySpeaking app, and OneNote I really don't see a lot of upside in the platform for me. But if those apps get better on the Touch I could actually find it very useful. What we need really is a device with a data only service option as well as wifi. But I only want a pay as I go or pre-paid option on any data plan as I don't need it unless I am on the road as I am now.

With a Win 7 device I will have the ability to use my favorite MBB ISP with an unlimited data plan I can activate only when I need it for the month. But given that all the apps I would need will run in their full featured install on a Win 7 device I really could make do with a wifi only connection.

These might seem like small issues, but really they make all the difference for me in the device. So only time will tell but I also am not willing to spend more than $500 for a slate device as I can pretty much get everything done with my existing laptops but would really like the increased ease of use for a slate PC over a laptop. So, I'll see where it's at in a few months.

Oh, and there is the whole up-in-the-air issue over Kindle4iOS which I need to access my reference books as I am able to buy more as they come out in eBook editions over time. I just don't feel safe trust Apple not to bone me hard over that issue either now or sometime in the not too distant future. And without a courtesy reach-around for that matter.
snipenekkid is offline   Reply With Quote