View Single Post
Old 02-14-2013, 09:02 AM   #126
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Are you seriously suggesting that Amazon's lack of support for ePub puts them at a commercial disadvantage? Given Amazon's complete domination of the ebook market, it's ePub that's the "minority" format, in sales terms.
No, I'm not suggesting they're at a disadvantage. But being the only one to *not* support epub makes them the Apple of the eReader world, and many people hate them for it. I for one. The only reason for having a Paperwhite is because I think the screen and manufacturer support is better than the Glo's. It's not certain my next reader will be an Amazon one because I detest it when companies try vendor lock-in. If I can't circumvent it, I'll not buy from them.

Some people would gladly buy all their books from Amazon (like me, because of choice), but use a Kobo Glo instead of a Kindle because the Glo has some features the Kindle lacks.

Because I consider epub to be the superior format to work with, I refuse to buy azw books, and I deDRM everything. I'll tailor / convert my books for the hardware, not the other way around (with epub as the base format), but most people just don't have the knowledge, skill, patience, or are just lazy. They want Amazon books (because of choice, not because it's Amazon), so they must have an Amazon reader. And after spending a lot of money in Amazon's store, each new reader must also be Amazon.

Many people buy Amazon hardware AND DRM-ed books, and many buy Apple stuff and iOS apps. They must really *love* vendor lock-in and not having the possibility to move to another ecosystem without losing all their stuff.

Not me....

Last edited by Katsunami; 02-14-2013 at 09:16 AM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote