View Single Post
Old 09-20-2012, 06:14 PM   #678
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Inspired by HomeInMyShoes' challenge of reading different decades I went back and looked at my reading since I got my Kindle. It isn't what I expected.

Since I do a fair amount of re-reading, I was expecting maybe 40-50% of the books (including short stories) I read to have been written since 2000 - in reality it is 70%. And 40+% were written in 2010 or later. I was expecting 20-25% to be from the 90s (from when I was in high school and college and which I tend to re-read a lot), it is less than 15%.

It turns out (as expected once I thought about it) that a lot of this has to do with how many "indie" books I have been reading and how easily available (and generally cheap) they are with an e-reader. I have read 53 indie books over the last 2 years and only 1 of them was written before 2000, 40 of them were written since 2010 (50 since 2008). My original guesses were very close, if I don't include the indies.

I may try to fill in some gaps next year, or even this year still, but regardless it was an interesting diversion.

/Sorry for my geek out, you may now all return to your regular programming...

Last edited by Dazrin; 05-16-2014 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Removed obsolete links
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote