View Single Post
Old 09-18-2009, 05:08 AM   #15
Grauheim
Enthusiast
Grauheim doesn't litterGrauheim doesn't litterGrauheim doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Opus; HTC TyTN II
Recommendation: Avoid

Well I went ahead and bought this. My recommendation: avoid at all costs. Perhaps it does fine on documents that are simple text, but complex pdf is a disaster.

I tried it on a fairly typical computer science paper in two-column ACM format. I've attached the pdf and the resulting ePub so you can look for yourselves.

The first couple of pages are fine, although it messed up the table of author names. No big deal.

It correctly detected that there are two columns and got the flow right.

The first column-spanning figure on page 2 was done correctly. So far so good.

The graphs on pages 3 and 4 are a complete mess. Rather than treating them as images, it extracted the axis labels and threw away the graph itself.

The formulae on pages 5 and onwards are thrown away.

Then about half way through the first column of page 6, the document just stops. The entire second half of the paper is unreadable. When I poke through the actual files (specifically ch0-p1.xhtml), it is apparent that there is malformed XHTML that is causing my reader to croak.

Like I said, for simple documents involving only straight text and perhaps some images, I imagine the product might work fine. For real scientific documents, however, the generated ePub is simply of no use whatsoever.
Attached Files
File Type: epub HR GI 2009.epub (56.6 KB, 610 views)
File Type: pdf HR GI 2009 - Camera Ready.pdf (522.8 KB, 876 views)
Grauheim is offline   Reply With Quote