View Single Post
Old 09-10-2021, 02:30 AM   #34666
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Is that reportable? Or aren't there actually water restrictions right now?
We're in the boonies and there aren't any water usage restrictions here. Everybody is on a well or shared well. We are all individually and collectively responsible for our own water and conservation. If you run out of water, oh, well, too bad, so sad--you have to pay to have it trucked in, put up a large enough tank, etc. And yes, Virginia, wells do run dry. That's why this is driving me nuts. This person is not on my well; he's on his own, or a shared well to the north of me. BUT, he and I (or she and I) are on the same G*ddamned aquifer, fersure.

It's possible--remotely--that this person has a fountain. And that's what I'm hearing or...maybe, very remotely maybe, it's an aerator or the like, in a swimming pool. But firstly, up here, almost nobody has a pool. A pool up here is a dead-animal magnet. Dead bunnies ("Thumper, oh, no!"), ground squirrels, tarantulas, scorpions, snakes (they mostly swim out fine, though) and so on. Even mule deer (yes, it's happened). Not to mention any sadly-outside domestic pets that have either escaped their homes or stupidly been allowed out by owners that obviously don't care if they ever see them again. (Predation on anything under 50-60lbs, at least, is very real here.) So, I mean, forget what it's like elsewhere, with the hassle of scooping leaves--up here, you scoop carcasses. Our home, particularly, happens to be dead smack in the middle of a tarantula annual migration and breeding path. Yup, we see baby Tarans each year and sometimes, they get in the house and we have to watch them creep--slowly--across the ceiling. Yeah, try sleeping with that going on!!!

It's also a killing ground. Doesn't take long for the coyotes and Bobcats and raptors to figure out "duh, hey, everybody goes over there to get water." They may all not like chlorine, but water's water.

On the fountain idea--same thing. Fountains draw critters, critters drown, critters draw predators. And it runs up the power, too, of course, to run a fountain 24/7. Sure, you can try to power it with solar, but no matter what solar companies tell you, it's surprisingly inefficient to try to power a fountain pump with a weenie solar panel. Even in the dead deep center of the Southwestern Sunbelt, with average temps and sun in the summer of 105-110F, daily and 14+ hours of daylight each day.

Anyway...sorry for the ranting. There really isn't anyone to report it to and more importantly, even if there was, I have zero idea where it is--or if it's even truly improper. No realistic way to find it or track it down, due to the odd acoustics up here--sound bounces off the mountains. That thing could literally be, say, 320' from my house, just past my rear property line, or 3200' away. No exaggeration. As I think I've previously mentioned, from my front door, or my office (in front of the house) with my window open, you can hear a car coming from more than a 1/2-mile away. Sound really carries up here because it's typically so quiet.

If it's a fountain or something going on in one of those rare pools...well. My neighbor ends up going out, every. single. night., to check her barn, b/c she hears it too and every night, she's sure that she left her water running from the barn spigot, so even though she tells herself "nope, it's that other person," she compulsively walks out there to check.

SIGH. Maybe one of these days, I'll lace up some tall boots, put on some protective clothing, strap on a suitable light, and go out there and try to track it down in the middle of the night. Not always a great idea to go stomping through other folks' property around here, though. There isn't any simple way to walk "around the block," to try to track it down, as there aren't any blocks here, either, lol. Not like urbanites and suburbanites are used to.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote